Gluten Free Chicken Milanese
Easy and Healthy Recipe for Gluten-Free Chicken Milanese Cutlets that you can make in minutes! We like it better than fried chicken!
- In three separate flat dishes:
- 2 large cage free,antibiotic free, fresh chicken breasts.
- Slice in half horizontally and pounded thin, season both sides with salt and pepper.
- 1-2 cups gluten-free flour of choice, like gluten-free white rice flour or for grain-free use arrowroot flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups gluten-free crumbs, from finely ground day old gluten-free bread, crackers or chips
- Seasonings, like a pinch of garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, cayenne and oregano, or your favorite blend for the crumbs
- In the pan:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
Preparation time 7mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from picasaweb.google.com
Slice chicken breast in half horizontally as evenly as possible.
Lay out a long piece of plastic wrap on your counter, place the 4 pieces of chicken on top of the wrap, leaving plenty of space between each piece.
Lay another piece of plastic wrap on top of the chicken.
Pound the chicken with a mallet or rolling pin until they are very thin. Careful not to put holes in them if you can, but you do want the cutlets very thin, so pound away. The cutlets should be much bigger once you are done.
Remove top sheet of plastic and season the chicken with salt and pepper on each side.
Line up your three flat dishes as directed above in this order. Flour first, beaten eggs second and seasoned crumbs last. I use FEC to remember the order.
In a large cast iron fry pan, heat the oil and butter on medium heat.
Dredge chicken in flour on each side.
Dip quickly in the egg on each side. You don't want to wash off the flour.
Lay in the crumbs on each side.
Place in hot pan and fry for 2-3 minutes, watch to make sure they aren't getting too brown, decrease heat if they are cooking too fast. Turn and cook the other side.
My pan fits two cutlets. Remove from pan and place in warm oven while you cook the other two.
Serve with Romaine or Arugula salad and a simple yogurt dill dressing made from a cup of plain yogurt, pinch of fresh dill, a little minced garlic and a dash of lemon juice.