Works with any meat/vegetable combo.
Ante up the heat by using Madras curry powder, serrano chiles and/or by including the chile seeds & ribs.
Add vegetables of your choice at the start of Step 3.
- Oil or ghee
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
1. (Optional) Prepare whatever meat you're using, if any, by cutting into 1" pieces. Blot the meat dry, and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil or ghee over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add the meat, and saute until brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate while you prepare the curry & vegetables.
2. Heat more oil or ghee, if necessary, over medium-high heat in a large, nonstick skillet. Add the onion and cook until softened, about five minutes. Stir in the chile, garlic, ginger and curry powder, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add water and whatever vegetables you're using to the skillet, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are nearly tender, about 10 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking until sauce has thickened and vegetables are tender. Add meat, if using, and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Serve over rice.