Orange & Bourbon Chocolate Cake
The Spotted Pig, 314 West 11th St., 212-620-0393
April Bloomfield, "This cake is silky, decadent and heavenly."
Why We Love It:
Adding booze makes this rich cake an even guiltier pleasure.
Tips from the chef:
1. Always use baking chocolate w/@ least 70% cocoa content or the eggs won't set. "You'll have a landslide on your hands," says Bloomfield.
2. Try making minis for your guests instead of a single cake. Baking time is the same, but place ramekins in a rimmed cookie sheet filled w/water.
3. Serve a sparkling red wine - not bourbon, which would be overkill w/this sweet. One refreshing choice: Braida Brachetto d'Acqui ($27, winelibrary.com)
- 1/2 lb bittersweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 c unsalted butter (1 stick cut up)
- 3 T bourbon (preferably Maker's Mark)
- 1 orange, zested
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 c granulated sugar
- SPICED CREAM:
- 3/4 c chilled heavy cream
- 2 T confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/8 t cardamom
- 1/8 t ground cloves
Adapted from instyle.com
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Butter & flour sides of a round 9" baking pan & line the bottom w/parchment paper.
3. Melt chopped chocolate & butter in a double boiler, stirring until smooth.
4. Mix in bourbon & orange zest; set aside.
5. W/an electric mixer, beat eggs & granulated sugar in a bowl until mixture is thick & pale yellow ribbons form, ~6min.
6. Fold mixture into chocolate little by little.
7. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
8. Bake for 35 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
9. Cool on a wire rack.
10. W/mixer, beat cold heavy cream until frothy.
11. Add confectioner's sugar & spices.
12. Continue beating until soft peaks form.
13. Chill in refrigerator.
14. Transfer cake to a serving platter.
15. garnish w/spiced cream & chocolate shavings.