Easy Chicken and Scallion (Negima) Yakitori
Come Join & Invite your Friends & Family » Deliciously Dished: https://www.facebook.com/DeliciouslyDished and as always feel free to join us at Deliciously Dished: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Creates/ our group. You do not want to miss out on all the Foodie loveღ
- Tare Sauce:
- 2 chicken thigh fillets, skin off
- 8 spring onions with white parts
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- Bamboo skewers, soak in cold water 1 hour before cooking
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 2 tbsp sake
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 20 g ginger, peeled & sliced
Adapted from burpappetit.com
1. Tare sauce can be prepared up to 1 week in advance and store in air tight container in the fridge. Pour all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Taste and adjust seasoning. Bring the heat to low and continue to simmer for 20 mins or until the sauce is thick and reduced by half.
2. Trim all fat and sinew from the chicken thigh fillets. Cut them into consistent bite-size pieces.
3. Trim the roots off from the spring onion. Basically, we only need the white/pale green parts. Starting from the bottom, cut the spring onion to 2 parts with each part measuring about 5 cm length. Keep the green parts for some other use next time.
4. Remove the bamboo skewers from the water and wipe dry. Alternating between 3 chicken meat and 2 chopped scallion, thread them through the skewer.
5. Heat the grill to medium hot. Brush the chicken skewers with oil and the tare sauce generously. Gently place them on the heated grill to cook. Continuously cook and baste the skewers with oil and tare sauce for about 2 mins. Turn the skewers and cook the other side. Repeat the same until the chicken has cooked through and beautifully charred.
6. Place the skewers on a plate and drizzle the remaining tare sauce to serve.
Notes: (adapted from Bird’s Nest Restaurant) Makes 6 skewers