- 1 pound uncooked dried pinto beans
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 pound bacon diced
- 1 can tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz) undrained
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can diced green chilies - (4 oz)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup beer
- Salt to taste
- Fresh oregano for garnish
- 2 limes
Sort beans. Place beans in bowl, cover with water and soak overnight. Discard water. Place beans in large pot and add 8 cups water. Simmer partially covered for 1 hour.
Cook bacon until crisp. Add bacon and 2 tablespoons of the drippings to beans. Chop tomatoes and add to beans. Add onions, garlic, chilies, chili powder, oregano, and cumin.
Simmer partially covered for three hours, or until beans are tender. Turn off heat and add beer. Season with salt to taste. Garnish with fresh oregano and lime wedges.
This recipe yields ?? servings.