- 14 oz semisweet or bitterest chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3 Tbsp espresso, strong coffee, or water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (confectioners, granulated, or light brown)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, preferably not ultrapasteurized
- 1 pinch coarse salt, more to tase
In a heavy saucepan, combine all ingredients and melt together over very low heat, stirring (Alternatively, combine in a bowl and microwave at low heat for 2 minutes. Stire Continue cooking in 30-Second blasts, stirring in between)
Just before all the chocolate is melted, remove from the heat and stir until chocolate melts and mixture comes together. It may appear curdled, but keep stirring or whisk vigorously, it will smooth out. If too thick to pour, whisk in hot water a tablespoon at a time. Taste for salt and adjust the seasoning.