Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (chips are fine too!)
- 3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder (like Hershey's Special Dark 100% cacao)
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (not melted, just soft, like a slightly ripe peach)
- 4 + tablespoons whole milk (or 1/2 and 1/2 or cream), divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted confectioners powdered sugar
Melt chocolate according to package instructions. Once melted remove from heat, add dark cocoa powder one tablespoon at a time, mixing well until totally smooth after each addition. Set aside to cool slightly to lukewarm.
Beat the butter at medium in a large mixing bowl for about 3 minutes, until creamy. Take time to scrape down sides of bowl and beater a few times.
Slowly add 4 tablespoons of milk and continue to beat until smooth.
Turn off mixer to add melted chocolate, beat well for 2 minutes. Turn off mixer, scrape down sides and beater.
Add vanilla, beat for 3 minutes. Turn off mixer, scrape down sides and beater.
Add powdered sugar about a half cup at a time, once all sugar has been added, scrape down sides and beater one more time. Beat on low until creamy, or to preference.
If needed to adjust consistency, add either more milk or more sugar a smidge at a time.