- THE STOCK:
- 1 goose, or 2 ducks or chicken carcasses
- with any leftover skin
- 2 celery ribs snapped in thirds
- 1 onion halved
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 quarts cold water
- THE GUMBO:
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 quarts stock cooled, and skimmed of fat
- 3 1/2 cups duck, goose, or chicken meat from broth
- preparation and leftover roast
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves crushed
The Stock: Place all ingredients in large stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered 2 1/2 hours. Strain through a colander. Reserve all meat, discard vegetables. Pick off and reserve any meat from bones. (Makes about 2 quarts)
The Gumbo: Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy stock pot over medium heat. When hot (test whether pinchfuls of flour sizzle) gradually add flour. Stir constantly until the roux is the color of milk chocolate.
Add the sausage, onion, green pepper, green onions, parsley, and garlic. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1/2 cup stock and the fowl meat and seasonings. Mix thoroughly.
Add the rest of the stock, raise heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, stirring often.
Serve over boiled rice.
This recipe yields ?? servings.