Rice with Peas from Kay
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Minced garlic to taste (I use garlic salt)
- 1 cup raw long grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of Cayenne pepper
- 2 cups very hot water
- 2 tsps. Chicken broth granules
- 3/4 cups frozen peas (You can use frozen peas and carrots if desired)
- 1 small tomato, chopped
Heat the oil in the frying pan. Add onions, garlic, rice and red pepper, saute until onions is limp and rice is opaque. Add salt, cayenne, water and chicken broth granules; cover and cook for 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Add peas and tomato, stirring just until vegetables are thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
When I have dinner parties or guests, I make this in advance, put it in a casserole dish and put in the refrigerator until I am ready to serve it. They I out clear plastic wrap over the top and microwave it until just heated.