- 4 hours | 30 min prep
- SERVES 16 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces (2 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (8 oz.)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (4 1/4 oz.)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup dried potato flakes (heaping 1/2 cup, 1 1/4 oz.)
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder (1 oz.)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Combine all dough ingredients, mix, and knead until a medium-soft, smooth dough is achieved. Can use a mixer or bread machine.
Adapted from recipezaar.com
Cover and allow to rise until quite puffy though probably not doubled, about 1 to 2 hours.
Divide dough into 16 pieces. There are wonderful illustrations in the book, but basically you shape each piece into a rough ball, then pull downward around the top surface and gather in a small knot at the bottom. Place on an unfloured work surface and, cupping your hand over the dough, roll gently and quickly to smooth top.
Place rolls in a lightly greased 13x9 pan. Cover with greased plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 1/2-2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover and bake until brown on top but light on the sides, about 23-25 minutes.
Remove from oven and, after a few minutes, carefully transfer to rack. Brush with melted butter for a smooth, satiny crust. Serve warm or room temperature.