Madame Julia's Chicken Creole
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning containing salt (like Tony Cachere or Zatoiains)
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups crushed whole tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 6 large or 8 small chicken breast halves boned, skinned, cut in strips, and dredged in
- 3 tablespoons flour
In large pot, heat oil and saute onions, celery, pepper, and garlic until onions are clear. Add rest of seasonings, stir until fragrant, and add chicken strips dredged in flour. Stir to keep flour from sticking.
When chicken is browned, add tomatoes and paste, sugar, and Worcestershire. One-half cup of vermouth may be added -- correct seasonings and simmer 15 minutes. Serve over fluffy white rice.
This recipe yields ?? servings.