Sweet and Crunchy Garden Salad
- 1 C sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 T chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 t salt
- Dash of black pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, rinsed
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable oil 3 green onion tops, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar 1 22-oz. can mandarin oranges, drained, chilled
Mix almonds with 1/4 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring as the sugar melts and the almonds brown. Carefully spread the almonds on an ungreased baking sheet to cool, using a metal spatula; the nuts will be very hot. When completely cooled, break the cabdied almonds into tiny pieces.
Tear the iceberg and romaine lettuce into pieces and wash well. Dry the greens thoroughly and transfer them to a salad bowl. Cover and refrigerate if not serving
immediately. combine the oil, vinegar, remaining 1/4 C sugar, and the parsley , salt, pepper, and cayenne in a bowl, and mix well. Chill covered, in the refrigerator, until ready to serve.
Combine the lettuce, sliced green onions, candied almonds, and orange segments in a large salad bowl. Just befoe serving, toss the salad with enough dressing to coat the greens.