Root Beer Bundt Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 1/2 cups root beer
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp salt, plus a pinch
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 120mins
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan; tap out the excess flour.
2. Heat 2 cups root beer, the cocoa powder, chocolate and 1 stick butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Add the granulated and brown sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Combine 2 cups flour, baking soda, allspice and 1 tsp salt in a bowl. Whisk eggs into the root beer mixture, then gently fold in the dry ingredients (the batter will be slightly lumpy).
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, 55 minutes to 1 hour, rotating the pan halfway through. Transfer to a rack. Gently poke the cake all over with a skewer and pour 1/4 cup root beer over the cake; let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert the cake onto a serving plate and let cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make the glaze: Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup root beer, a pinch of salt, the confectioner's sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the cake.