Italian Lemon Drop Cookies
These Italian Lemon Drop Cookies don't skimp on the good stuff—shortening adds richness and texture to these classic little cookies.
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening or 1/4 Stick-Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening or 1/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Heat oven to 375°F. Spray cookie sheet lightly with no-stick spray.
Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in shortening. Stir in milk, egg and lemon extract. Mix until well blended.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls with floured hands. Place the cookies on the baking sheet about 1-inch apart.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden color. Place cookie sheet on cooling rack. Cool completely.
Prepare frosting while cookies are cooling. Combine shortening and sugar in a medium bowl using a pastry blender. Stir in warm milk, a little at a time, until the shortening is a good consistency to spread. Stir in lemon extract. Spread a thin layer of frosting on the cookies.