Baked Oatmeal Casserole
You will need a 10-1/2 by 7-inch or 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish, a baking sheet, a chef’s knife, 2 large bowls and a whisk.
- 2 cups (175 grams) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup (70 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice (you can substitute cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (55 grams) walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup (125 grams) sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup (58 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups (473 ml) reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices
Heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Generously spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish (or 8-inch by 8-inch square baking dish) with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, Chinese five spice, salt, half the walnuts, half the strawberries and half the chocolate. Add to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries, walnuts and chocolate on top of the oats. Then, scatter the banana slices.
In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract. Then, pour over oats and fruit. Gently shimmy and shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
Bake oatmeal for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the milk mixture has set.
For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of extra brown sugar on top then place back in the oven under the broiler and broil for 20-30 seconds.