- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut lengthwise
- 1 can Italian plum tomatoes - (28 oz) cut 1" pieces, reserving liquid
- 1/2 cup defatted chicken broth
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely-chopped garlic
- 2 medium zucchini cut 1" cubes
- 2 red bell peppers cut 1" squares
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup dark red kidney beans drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Tabasco pepper sauce - (abt 10 shakes) or to taste
- Hot cooked rice for serving
- 1 cup plain yogurt (optional)
- 4 scallions (optional), thinly
- sliced diagonally
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan and cover with 1/2 cup tomato liquid. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Discard liquid and cool chicken slightly. Cube chicken into 1-inch pieces; cover and reserve.
In a large, heavy pot, cook broth, onion, and garlic over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini and red bell peppers; cook, covered, for 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, remaining tomato liquid, chili powder, cumin, curry powder, oregano, and allspice. Simmer uncovered over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring once.
Add chicken, kidney beans, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons parsley, black pepper, and pepper sauce. Simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasonings. Add remaining parsley.
Cook the rice, and serve the chili piping hot over the rice. Garnish with yogurt and scallions (optional).
This recipe yields 10 servings.