pasta - spinach ricotta gluten free dumplings
- 5 Tablespoons potato starch
- 5 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons white rice flour (or brown rice flour), plus more for rolling
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper (or black)
- 1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
Adapted from glutenfreerecipebox.com
Spinach and/or gluten free marinara sauce, for serving
Whisk together the potato starch, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt,pepper, and nutmeg; and set aside.
In a large bowl, break up the spinach. Add Parmesan, ricotta, and eggs. Sprinkle the flour mixture on top and combine using a wooden spoon.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Place two tablespoons of rice flour on a plate, or as needed. Form balls out of the dough from tablespoons full of dough by rolling each tablespoon scoop of dough in the flour. Flour fingers as necessary.
Cook spinach or warm marinara sauce.
Lower water to a simmer. Lower the dumplings into the water using a slotted spoon. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove using the slotted spoon and set aside.
Add drained, cooked spinach or marinara to serving bowls. Place the dumplings on top; and serve immediately topped with additional grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Do not boil the dumplings or they break apart or at least break open.