Dark Chocolate Waffles
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate (at least 70% cacao), finely chopped or grated
Adapted from bonappetit.com
1. Preheat oven to 200F.
2. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add egg yolks, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Blend with a fork, then gradually incorporate dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
3. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Working in 2 batches, fold egg whites into batter just until combined. Fold in chocolate.
4. Heat a waffle iron until very hot; lightly coat with nonstick spray. Working in batches, cook waffles until cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack set inside a baking sheet, cover loosely with foil, and keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
5. Serve waffles with melted butter and warm maple syrup. A delicious alternative presentation is mascarpone cheese mixed with brown sugar and sliced fresh strawberries.
Makes 6 servings (2 waffles each serving). Each serving = 15 Weight Watchers points.