Florentine Meatball Soup
I saw the recipe for the meatballs as an appetizer but I thought those sure would be good in a soup on a cold day. So I came up with a tomato cream base for the meatballs and this recipe has been a hit with my family!
- 1.25 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 can diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 cans Tomato sauce
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 3/4 cup Bread crumbs, plain
- 1 cup shredded Carrots
- 16 oz pack frozen Spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper flakes
- 8 cups Chicken stock
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tblsp. Olive Oil
- 1 palm full each of Romano cheese and Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups Cooked rice or sliced Potatoes
Meatballs: Mix chicken with spinach, ½ the onion, garlic, bread crumbs, cheese and the egg. Form into small meatballs and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
For the soup: Brown onions in olive oil. Add carrots and red pepper flakes. Cook 2 minutes. Then add chicken stock, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Season with black pepper and Italian seasoning. Cook 5-7 minutes, then add heavy cream, cook two more minutes. Add meatballs and rice or potatoes. Season with salt if needed. Serve with Italian cheese blend and toasted French bread.