Macaroons - Passover
These are outstanding.
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups coarsely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Ground cinnamon, for dusting - optional
1. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium saucepan, stir together egg whites, salt, sugar, vanilla and almond extract until combined. Set saucepan over low heat, stir in coconut and almonds, and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens slightly and turns sticky, 5-6 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and let stand, uncovered, 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3. Mound slightly rounded tablespoons of batter onto prepared baking sheets, moistening your fingers with water if mixture is sticking. Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through cooking time, until macaroons are golden around edges, 20-25 minutes total. (Be careful not to overbake.
as cookies will continue to firm up while they cool.) Carefully transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Once cool, dust lightly with cinnamon. Store in an airtight container up to 4 days.