- 1 normal-size beef tongue
- 2 cups dry pinto beans
- 1 can S & W Lite Kidney Beans, 50% less salt (15 1/4 oz)
- 1 can S & W Texas Style Barbecue Beans (15 1/4 oz)
- 1 can S & W Premium Tomatoes peeled/diced (28 oz)
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound bacon
Soak pinto beans overnight in 6 cups of water.
Place tongue into 6-quart pot and cover with hot water, using also the water in which the pinto beans soaked overnight. Set heat on high until water boils. Add the pinto beans and lower heat so that mixture boils gently. Boil 90 minutes.
Cook bacon so it is still a little soft, not crisp. Remove tongue from water and peel skin off. Cut tongue into small pieces to fit into grinder. Grind tongue.
Drain excess water from pinto beans and add ground tongue, ground bacon, and all other ingredients except onion. Set on low heat and allow to boil very gently for 30 minutes, stirring often so that all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Add onion and mix thoroughly.
This recipe yields about 4 quarts.