- 5 cups chopped cooked roast beef or pot roast in 1/2" pieces
- or smaller
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cups thinly-sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups brown gravy - (approximate)
- 1 beef bouillon cube or equivalent base
- 3 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sage no more
- 3 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Margarine as needed
- Mashed potatoes as needed
- Grated Cheddar cheese as needed
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Saute onions, celery and carrots in margarine in large skillet just until tender. Combine with roast beef, gravy and spices and simmer slowly for about 20 minutes. Be sure to remove bay leaves. Mixture should be thicker than stew but neither too dry or too runny. Add more gravy if necessary.
Put approximately 3/4 cup hot beef mixture into a small, round casserole dish. Cover to edges with mashed potatoes, smoothing with knife. Mark with tines of fork. Sprinkle middle with approximately 2 tablespoons grated cheddar. Place under broiler until lightly browned or bake in 350 degrees oven for 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley.
This recipe yields 10 servings.