Moroccan-Spiced Chicken Tagine
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut 1/2" strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium zucchini shredded
- 1/3 cup chopped drained sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can garbanzo beans - (15 1/2 oz) rinsed, drained
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Sprinkle the chicken with salt. Place the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chicken, onion, zucchini and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender, about 4 to 6 minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients except the couscous and cilantro. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 to 7 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the couscous with a fork. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Per serving (based on 6): 380 calories, 50g carbohydrates, 23g protein, 10g fat, 45mg cholesterol.