Roasted Tomato-Cheddar Soup
From Southern Living January 2019
- 3 lb plum tomatoes, halved (about 14 or 15 medium tomatoes)
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, quartered
- 6 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 10 thyme sprigs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt, divided
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups), plus more for serving
Preheat oven to 425. Toss together tomatoes, onion, garlic, thyme, oil, pepper, and 1/2 Tbsp of the salt on a large rimmed baking sheet. Arrange tomatoes evenly, cut side down, on backing sheet. Bake in preheated oven until tomato skins begin to blister, 25 to 30 minutes.
Peel and discard skins from cooked tomatoes; discard thyme from baking sheet. Transfer peeled tomatoes, onion, garlic, and any accumulated juices from baking sheet to a Dutch oven. Add broth, vinegar, and remaining 1/2 Tbsp salt. Process mixture with an immersion blender until smooth, about 2 minutes. Bring to a simmer over medium, simmer 10 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted and smooth. (If soup is not completely smooth, process once more with immersion blender.) Spoon soup evenly into 6 bowls; sprinkle with additional cheese and pepper.