Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 small ripe tomatoes peeled, seeded, and chopped (or 1 1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes, drained)
- Salt to taste
- 8 assorted bell peppers roasted, peeled
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped kale or collard greens thawed, and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 pound smoked mozzarella or Swiss cheese cut into eight 1/4"
- by 2 1/2" sticks
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (preferably freshly grated)
For sauce: Heat oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens. Season to taste with salt.
For peppers: Heat oven to 375 degrees; grease a 2-quart shallow baking dish with olive oil. Make a 2-inch slit along side of each pepper. Scoop out seeds and gently pull out white pulp with your fingers. Rinse and pat dry.
Mix kale, basil, salt and pepper. Place 1 cheese strip and 1 tablespoon kale mixture in each pepper. Arrange peppers in a single layer in prepared dish, filled side up. Pour sauce on top. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until lightly browned.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Net Carbs: 7.5 grams
Fiber: 2.5 grams
Protein: 15 grams
Fat: 16 grams