OLD FASHIONED CAKE DOUGHNUTS
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling dough out
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 cup vegetable oil, used for frying doughnuts
Adapted from youtube.com
1. In a large mixing bowl add sugar, baking powder. salt and nutmeg. Whisk well.
2. Add melted butter, eggs and buttermilk to sugar mixture and mix until combined.
3. Add 3 cups of flour to wet mixture, beat until blended. Add 1 cup of additional flour. Combine with wooden spoon until well blended. Dough should be sticky but firm to handle. Add 1/2 cup or more of flour it needed.
4. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
5.Add oil to 10 inch skillet and heat over medium heat until temp on oil reaches 365 degrees F.
6. Remove half the dough from refrigerate and roll out 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into doughnut shapes by sing a 3 inch round circle. Use a 1" circle to make and remove doughnut center.
7. Add doughnuts and centers to hot oil, be sure not to over crowd, Fry for 2 1/2 minutes, flip and fry 1 more minute or until doughnuts are light and golden brown.
8. Remove doughnuts from oil and drain on paper towels. Cool
9. Glaze doughnuts, toss in sugar & cinnamon or powder sugar. Frost doughnuts and add sprinkles if desire.
GLAZE FOR DOUGHNUTS:
2 cups Powder Sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon honey
3-5 tablespoons of water
Add powder sugar, honey and vanilla into a deep mixing bowl. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until glaze will coat doughnuts.
SUGAR & CINNAMON COATING FOR DOUGHNUTS:
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Toss sugar and cinnamon well together. Gently toss doughnuts.