Handmaiden Hash Browns
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Grated cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Peel the potatoes and rinse in cold water.
2. Grate the potatoes using the large holes on a cheese grater, or a food processor fitted with a grater attachment. Keep your fingers away from the grater! Place the grated potatoes in a colander, rinse well with cold water, and drain. Toss with the chopped red pepper.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Spread the grated potatoes in a thin, even layer in the skillet. Using a spatula, press the potatoes into the pan. Fry the potatoes for approximately 8 minutes, or until the bottom turns golden brown.
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Place a large plate or tray over the skillet and carefully flip the potato cake onto the plate. Pour the remaining tablespoon of oil onto the skillet. Carefully slide the potato cake into the pan so the unbrowned side faces down. Return skillet to the heat. Fry for another 8 minutes, or until the other side turns golden brown.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Cut into wedges and serve.