- 1 pound ground lean beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Lettuce, leaves, pickle slices, ketchup, and mustard for serving
1. Put the ground beef, salt pepper and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Using your hands, mix them together until well blended.
2. Divide the meat mixture in 8 equal portions. Form the portions into 8 patties ¼-inch-thick.
3. Place 1 tomato slice on 1 patty. Top with another patty. Use your fingers to press the edges together to seal. Repeat this step to make 4 filled patties.
4. Put a large skillet on the stove and switch on the heat to medium. When the skillet is hot, after about 1 minutes or so, carefully put the hamburgers in the pan. Cook until browned on the underside, about 6 minutes. To check, lift a corner of the burger with the spatula and peak underneath. Flip over the hamburger and cook on the second side until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes longer.
5. Use the spatula to transfer the burger onto the bun. Serve with lettuce leaves, pickle slices, ketchup, and mustard—blasted on, of course!