Greek Summer Salad
- 1 red onion or sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 5 medium tomatoes or large
- 1/2 European cucumber (or 1 regular cucumber)
- 1 large green or red or yellow bell pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine or Sherry vinegar - (to 3) plus
- 1 teaspoon red wine or Sherry vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil - (to 6)
- 3 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint - (to 3) (or 1 tspn dried oregano or a combination)
- 12 Kalamata olives - (to 16) pitted
Cut the onion in half lengthwise, then slice it crosswise into semi-circles. Place the onion in a bowl, cover it with cold water and add the vinegar. Let the onion sit for at least 10 minutes, preferably longer, while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
If the tomatoes are thick-skinned, peel them, then cut them into wedges, and cut the wedges in half if they're very large. Peel the cucumber, if you prefer, then cut it in half lengthwise, then slice it. Cut the bell pepper into 1-inch pieces or rings.
Drain the onion and place it in a serving bowl. Toss it with the tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, salt and pepper to taste, vinegar, oil, feta, mint and olives. Taste, adjust the salt and pepper, and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Each serving: 149 calories; 468 mg sodium; 13 mg cholesterol; 14 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 9 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams protein; 2.33 grams fiber.