Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz smoked sausage, sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can rotel (I prefer mild, but if you want more spice use the original)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz whole grain penne (or whatever noodle you prefer, I've also used bowtie)
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
Adapted from hwescott.blogspot.com
Heat oil over medium-high heat in an oven safe skillet until hot. Add the sausage and onion and cook until lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
Add the broth, rotel, heavy cream, uncooked pasta, and pepper. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the pasta is tender, 15 minutes. Stir once or twice while cooking. Preheat the broiler while pasta is cooking.
Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
Taste, and add salt as needed. Top with the scallions and remaining
cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and lightly browned - about 3