Chicken is an ideal protein if eaten without the skin. which is nothing but fat, Here's a fresh way to serve chicken using a variety of vegetables. If you have some sauce left over, puree it in a blender to make a soup. hot or cold.
Adapted from the Silver Palate Cookbook copyright 1979 by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins.
- 5 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 or 5 Chicken Breast halves (2 1/2 - 3 Lbs)skinned
- 1 Cup yellow onions (finely chopped)
- 2 Carrots (scraped & chopped)
- 4 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup Orange juice
- 1/2 Cup Canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (sweet, medium size)
- (cut into thin strips)
- 1/2 Zucchini (Large Size)(sliced)
- 1/2 Yellow Summer Squash (Large Size)
- Parsley chopped (to taste)
- Orange zest grated (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in large skillet, season chicken with salt & pepper, cook gently for five minutes. Remove chicken from skillet.
2. Add the onions, carrots, & garlic, cover and cook low heat until tender about 25 minutes.
3. Add the broth, orange juice, tomatoes, and rosemary simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
4. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer another 10 to 25 minutes.
5. Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil in another skillet and saute the red pepper for five minutes. Add the zucchini and squash, and season with salt & pepper. Saute the vegetables until they are tender but still firm, about 5 minutes.
6. Transfer the vegetables to the chicken and simmer together another five minutes, Garnish if you like and serve..