- 1 cup dried white beans
- Water, as needed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tomatoes cored and diced
- 1/2 small cabbage head thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 baking potatoes peeled, diced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 pound green beans cut up
- Shredded basil (optional)
Bring white beans and water to cover to boil in saucepan, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain.
Saute onion, celery and carrot in soup pot sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, about 5 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, 12 cups water, cabbage and salt. Simmer, covered, about 2 hours. Add potatoes and mushrooms during last 45 minutes of cooking.
Add green beans during last 15 minutes. Garnish with basil.
This recipe yields 12 servings.
Each serving: 101 calories; 412 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 0 fat; 20 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams protein; 1.99 grams fiber