Chocolate-Frosted Dobos Torte
- 7 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1 vanilla bean, split & seeds scraped out
- 1/2 c confectioners' sugar
- 10 eggs, separated
- 2 c (16oz) melted bittersweet chocolate, divided
- 2 c sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 c cake flour, sifted
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 2 eggs, plus 1 yolk
Adapted from instyle.com
FOR THE CAKE:
1. Heat oven to 400F. On parchment paper, using pencil, trace six 9" circles, then lay flat on baking sheets.
2. In mixing bowl, combine 3 sticks butter w/vanilla seeds. W/mixer @ med high, beat together for 1 min.
3. Add confectioners' sugar & continue to beat until smooth.
4. Decrease speed & add 10 egg yolks; beat until light & fluffy.
5. Fold in 1/2c of melted chocolate.
6. In separate bowl using mixer, beat 10 egg whites until soft peaks form.
7. Increase speed & add 1c sugar, whipping until stiff peaks form.
8. Fold into yolk mixture. Then gently fold in flour & cocoa powder.
9. Using an offset spatula, divide batter equally among the 6 parchment circles.
10. Bake in oven until golden, 6-8 min. Remove from oven; let cool.
FOR THE FROSTING:
1. In saucepan, bring remaining 1c sugar & 1/4c water to boil.
2. Cook w/o stirring until mixture reaches 240F on a candy thermometer. Set aside.
3. W/mixer @ med-high speed, beat remaining 2 eggs & extra yolk until mixture forms smooth ribbons.
4. Reduce mixer speed & gradually pour hot sugar syrup into egg mixture.
5. Increase speed & whip until mixture cools to room temp.
6. Cut remaining 4 sticks of butter into small pieces.
7. Still beating, add butter 1 piece @ a time.
8. Pour in remaining melted chocolate, beating until buttercream is smooth.
9. Divide buttercream frosting in half.
10. Place 1 cake layer on cake board. Spread w/buttercream; top w/another cake layer & spread w/buttercream.
11. Repeat procedure until all cake layers have been used.
12. W/second 1/2 of buttercream cover outside of cake, using a pastry comb, if available.