Deep-Dish Mexican Meat Loaf Pie
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef (90 percent lean)
- 1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips or corn chips
- 1 envelope (1/2 of a 2-ounce package) onion soup mix
- 3/4 cup bottled taco sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 8.8 ounce pouch cooked Spanish-style rice (such as Uncle Ben's Ready Rice)
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can golden hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers (4 ounces)
- 1 medium fresh Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped* (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- Tortilla or corn chips, sliced jalapeno pepper,* and/or fresh cilantro sprigs
Preparation time 40mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine beef, crushed chips, soup mix, 1/2 cup of the taco sauce, one lightly beaten egg, and black pepper. Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate.
Heat rice according to package directions. In a large bowl combine rice, hominy, tomatoes, cheese, Anaheim pepper, cilantro, the remaining 1/4 cup taco sauce, and the remaining lightly beaten egg. Spoon mixture into meat shell. Place pie plate on a baking sheet. Cover loosely with foil.
Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 20 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted near center registers 160 degrees F. Let stand for 15 minutes. Top with chips, jalapeno pepper slices, and/or cilantro.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.