“Impossible” Ham-and-Cheese Pie
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened, plus 2 tablespoons melted
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese (use a rasp style grater or smallest holes on a box grater)
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 4 ounces thickly sliced deli ham, chopped
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9-inch pie quiche plate with softened butter, then coat plate evenly with Parmesan.
2. Combine Gruyere, ham and scallions in a bowl. Sprinkle cheese-and-ham mixture evenly in bottom of prepared pie dish. Combine flour, baking powder, pepper and salt in now empty bowl. Whisk in half-and-half, eggs, melted butter, mustard and nutmeg until smooth. Slowly pour batter over cheese-and-ham mixture in pie quiche dish.
3. Bake until pie quiche is light golden brown and filling is set, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Slice into wedges. Serve warm.