Miso Barbecue Sauce
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons Pickapeppa sauce (or tspns vegetarian Worcestershire-style sauce)
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Few drops liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons miso (preferably red)
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cider vinegar, ketchup, tomato paste, brown sugar, molasses, Pickapeppa sauce, garlic, ginger and liquid smoke. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes, whisking continuously. Remove from the heat and let the sauce cool slightly.
Transfer the sauce to a food processor or blender and add the miso. Blend until smooth. Adjust the seasonings if necessary. Store in the refrigerator.
Serve on vegetarian burgers, with tofu or as a condiment.
This recipe yields about 1 1/2 cups.