Chicken Waikiki Beach
- 2 whole chicken legs and 2 whole chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup salad oil or shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (1lb, 4 oz) sliced pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 large green pepper, cut crosswise in 1/4 inch circles
Wash chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Coat chicken with flour.
2. Heat oil in large skillet. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and brown on all sides. Remove as browned to shallow roasting pan, arrange pieces skin sides up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F.
4. Make Sauce: Drain pineapple, pouring syrup into 2-cup measure. Add water to make 1 3/4 cups.
5. In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, pineapple syrup, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, and bouillon cube. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly; boil 2 minutes. Pour over chicken.
6. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Add pineapple slices and green pepper. Bake 30 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender. Serve with fluffy white rice.
Makes 4 servings.