CHOCOLATE + PEPPERMINT YULE LOG
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature 1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces) vegetable oil 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon KAF Pure vanilla extract 1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) King Arthur
- Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (p.30) 1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) black cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- FILLING & FROSTING
- 1/2 cup (16 tablespoons, 8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (12 ounces) chopped white
- chocolate, melted and cooled (p.12) 2 cups (8 ounces) confectioners' sugar 1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil
- 1/2 cup (23/4 ounces) Peppermint Crunch
TO MAKE THE CAKE: Beat the eggs and oil until thick and pale. Mix in the sugar, salt, and vanilla. Sift together the flour, cocoa, and baking Powder, and fold gently into the egg mixture. Spread the batter into a parchment-lined jelly roll pan. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes, unRemove from the oven, and cool in the pan for 2 minutes. Loosen the edges and transfer the cake to a towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Roll the cake up from the short end. Cool completely.
TO MAKE THE FILLING/FROSTING: Beat the butter, chocolate, sugar, and oil at low speed until light and fluffy.
Unroll the cake, spread with filling, and sprinkle with the crunch. Re-roll the cake and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm.
Cut off 1/3 of the roll. Stand the larger• piece upright. Position the smaller piece to look like a branch coming out of the log. Spread or pipe the remaining filling over the log.
YIELD: 10 servings.
til the top springs back when pressed.