Chicken and Rice Pilaf Skillet Supper
- 2 generous pinches saffron threads
- 1/3 pound thin green beans, trimmed and halved across
- 1 cup fresh spring peas
- 2 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken breast
- 2 small onions, 1 quartered and 1 finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup broken pieces of thin spaghetti or orzo
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, a generous pinch
- A small handful of golden raisins
- 1 Meyer lemon, very thinly sliced
- Toasted slivered almonds, to garnish
Bring 2 inches water to boil in skillet, Remove 1 cup boiling water, pour over saffron and reserve. Add salt to water; add beans and peas, and par-boil 3-4 minutes. Drain and reserve. Place chicken in skillet skin-side down and add quartered onion, celery, carrot and bay leaf. Cover with a couple of inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer to poach the chicken, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken and let cool. Strain stock into a bowl and reserve. Return skillet to the stove.
Remove chicken bones and skin. Slice or pull chicken into large bite-sized pieces.
Heat EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, in skillet over medium to medium-high heat; add butter and melt. When butter foams, add pasta and toast to golden. Add finely chopped onion, and garlic to pasta, and stir 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add rice and stir 1 minute more. Add the wine and stir to evaporate it into rice. Add about 3 cups of reserved poaching liquid plus the saffron water, 1 quart of liquid total. Add cinnamon, raisins and lemon; stir to bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 minutes, add chicken and peas and beans and cook 2-3 minutes more until rice is tender and chicken is warm through. Serve from the skillet garnished with toasted almonds.
(c) MMIX KWP STUDIOS INC. All rights reserved.
132 E. 43rd St., P.O. Box 543 New York, NY 10017