Sugar Cookie Icing
- 3 tablespoons of meringue powder
- 1 1/2 cups solid Crisco shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice or flavoring or (almond flavoring)
- 2 pounds of confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup of water (approx.)
Whip meringue powder according to package directions, till soft peaks form.
Cream in shortening and vanilla & lemon flavor.
Add 1/4 cup of water and one pound of the powdered sugar and blend until moistened; then beat until icing is smooth, scrape sides & bottom of bowl often.
Add the remaining water and sugar. Stir until moistened then mix until icing is smooth and fluffy.
Add additional water a few drops at a time, if you desire a thinner spreading consistency. To stiffen, add more confectioners' sugar.
Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. Refrigerate leftover icing in airtight container. Rewhip before using.