Chocolate Cream Pie
Portale recreated his mom’s indulgent dessert for our May issue in honor of Mother’s Day. Luckily for us, this recipe doesn’t require a passport. The dressed-up version is made from scratch and totally worth the effort.
- Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 9 tbsp European-style unsalted butter (partially frozen)
- 4 – 6 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 8 large egg yolks
- 6 oz. 72 percent cacao dark chocolate (try Valrhona)
- 2 tbsp European-style unsalted butter
- Freshly whipped cream (optional)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from instyle.com
1. Using a processor with a blade attachment, mix dry ingredients.
2. Add butter; pulse for 20–25 seconds, or until chunks are pea-size.
3. Slowly add water and vinegar in small amounts just until mixture comes together.
4. Form dough into a disk; cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
5. On floured surface, roll out dough ⅛” thick. Line 9″ pie pan with dough; fill with pie weights or dried beans.
6. Chill 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 350°F.
8. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool.
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Turn heat to medium-high and gradually whisk in milk and cream, followed by yolks, until the mixture boils and thickens.
2. Remove from heat; add chocolate and butter. Stir to combine.
3. Pour filling into baked crust, and let sit until cool. Cover with plastic
wrap; refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
4. Serve with freshly whipped cream.