Lawry's Coconut Banana Cream Pie
- COCONUT PIE SHELL
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, plus more for pie plate
- 3 3 3 cups sweetened flake coconut
- 9-inch butter a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- PIE FILLING
- 4 4 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 3 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup flour
- 3 3 3 cups half-and-half, divided
- Yellow food coloring
- 2 2 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 2 2 bananas
- 1 1 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the sugar, the cornstarch, salt and flour in a small bowl. Gradually add 1 cup of the half-and-half.
Combine the remaining 2 cups half-and-half and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a 3-quart saucepan and bring just to boil over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook and stir until the mixture returns to a boil and thickens, about 1 minute.
Remove from the heat. Stir in 2 drops of food coloring and the vanilla. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
Slice the bananas into the pie shell. Pour the filling into the shell.
Whip the cream with the powdered sugar until stiff. Spoon in dollops or pipe with a pastry bag around the edge of the pie. Chill 2 hours before slicing.