German Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 potato, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups baked beans (or 14-oz can pork and beans)
- 1 can (13 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon savory
- parsley for garnish
Melt butter in a large saucepan.
Add carrot, potato, onion and water.
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients, except parsley.
Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture just comes to a boil.
Garnish individual servings with parsley.
Soup can be thinned with a bit of milk or cream.