Buffalo Chicken Salad
The highlight of this salad is Ellie's easy blue cheese dressing. Lowfat buttermilk and fat-free yogurt keep the calories low but the flavor high.
- Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper hot sauce (or other hot sauce), plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 hearts Romaine, cut into 1-inch strips (about 8 cups)
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 scallions, green part only, sliced
- 1/2 cup Blue Cheese Dressing
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat the broiler. Put the chicken between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound with a mallet or hammer so the chicken is an even thickness of about 3/4-inch, then cut the chicken crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. In a large bowl, combine the hot sauce and the oil, add chicken and toss until the chicken is well coated. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and broil until it is cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes, turning once.
In a large bowl combine the Romaine, celery, shredded carrots and scallions. Toss with the dressing. Divide the greens between 4 plates, top with the chicken. Serve with extra hot sauce.
Total Fat: 10 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Protein: 31 grams
Total carbohydrates: 10 grams
Sugar: 5 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Cholesterol: 74 milligrams
Sodium: 471 milligrams
Blue Cheese Dressing:
Fold a full sheet of paper towel into quarters and put it into a small bowl. Spoon the yogurt onto the paper towel and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to drain and thicken. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk and thickened yogurt into the mayonnaise until smooth. Add the vinegar and sugar and continue to whisk until all the ingredients are well combined. Stir in the blue cheese and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Yield: 3/4 cup