Mini Turkey Meatballs
- 1 1 1 small onion, grated
- 3 3 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1 1 large egg
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 3 3 3 tblsp. ketchup
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup chopped fresh italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 1 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1lb. 1lb. ground dark turkey meat
- 3 3 3 tblsp. olive oil
- 26 26 26 oz. Simple Tomato Sauce, recipe follows, or store-bought marinara sauce
- to 1 1/4" garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, parsley, Parmesan, Pecorino, salt and pepper to a large bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey. Shape the turkey mixture into 1 1/4" diameter meatballs. Place on a large plate or baking sheet.
- to the meatball mixture to a serving bowl. Serve with toothpicks.
Simple Tomato Sauce:
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
Sea salt and fresly ground black pepper
2 (32 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes
4 - 6 basil leaves
2 dried bay leaves
4 tblsp. unsalted butter, optional
In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil and bay leaves and simmer covered on low heat for 1 hr. or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning. If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tblsp. at a time to round out the flavors.
Add half the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor, Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomatoe sauce.
If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1- 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6 months.