CHEDDAR ALE SOUP
- Recipe By : CHICAGO TRIBUNE
- Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
- Categories : Soup
- Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion -- chopped
- 1 bottle beer -- 12 oz.
- 2 bags precooked diced, peeled potatoes -- 18 oz. each
- 2 cans reduced sodium chicken broth -- 14 oz. each
- 1 cup water -- optional
- 2 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced or chopped
Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add beer; heat to boil. Cook 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, broth and water, if needed. Cover; heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer; cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; mash the potatoes with a potato masher to the desired consistency.
Whisk milk and flour together in a small bowl; Add to the soup. Heat to a simmer over medium-high heat; cook whisking occasionally until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar until melted, 2 minutes. Laddle the soup into bowls; garnish with the remaining cheddar and bell peppers.