- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch chopped scallions (white and green parts)
- 2 boxes frozen chopped spinach - (10 oz ea) defrosted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3 extra-large eggs lightly beaten
- 7 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 40 sheets frozen phyllo dough - (1 box) defrosted overnight (such as Pepperidge Farm)
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter - (2 sticks) melted
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and add the scallions. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile, squeeze most of the water out of the spinach and place it in a bowl. Add the scallions, dill, eggs, feta, salt, and pepper and mix together.
Keep the phyllo dough sheets covered with a damp kitchen towel. Unfold 1 sheet of the phyllo dough. Brush the sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Repeat the process by laying a second sheet of phyllo dough over the first sheet, brush it with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs until all 10 sheets have been used.
Spoon 3/4 cup of the spinach mixture into a sausage shape along one edge of the phyllo dough. Roll it up. Brush the top with butter and score the roll into 1-inch rounds. Place it on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat until all the pastry and filling have been used.
Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Serve warm.
This recipe yields 6 servings.