CALICO BEAN BAKE
A colorful medley of beans adds interst to a cassserole that will feed a crowd but is still easy on the budget.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 pound lead (90%) ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) cut green beans
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) red beans
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) Great Northern beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) honey Dijon barbecue sauce
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 70mins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until browned. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings in pan.
2 Chop onion. Add ground beef and onion to skillet. Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef into small crumbles.
3. Meanwhile, drain and rinse all beans except pork and beans in a large colander; set aside.
4. Drain beef using small colander; return to skillet. Add reserved beans, undrained pork and beans, barbecue sauce and all except 1/4 cup of the bacon in skillet; mix well.
5. Spoon mixture into casserole baking dish; top with remaining bacon. Bake 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.