True Love Chocolate Cake
PREP TIME: 35 minutes
BAKE TIME: 35 minutes + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup candy hearts
1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce.
2. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Fold in chips. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
4. For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Fold in whipped topping. Frost cake. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, sprinkle with coconut and candy.