Mediterranean Grilled Vegetables
- 2 zucchinis, halved and cut on the bias
- 2 medium onions, sliced between the root and stem end into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 red pepper, cut into fourths; seeds, ribs, and stem removed
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into fourths; seeds, ribs, and stem removed
- 8 new potatoes, parboiled and halved
- 1 bunch asparagus stalks, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pepper, as needed
- Juice from 1 lemon
Marinate the vegetables in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and allow the vegetables to sit in the marinade for 30 minutes while you prepare your grill. Preheat a gas grill to medium heat. If you are using a charcoal grill, build a fire and let it burn down until the coals are glowing red with a moderate coating of white ash.
Grill the vegetables, beginning with those that take the longest to cook and finishing with those that cook quickly; we recommend following the order the vegetables are listed above. Cook the vegetables until they begin to take on color and are cooked through. Arrange the cooked vegetables on a platter, season with fresh lemon juice and serve while still hot or at room temperature.